Mahatma Gandhi's inspiring thinking on industries combined with my practical experience of 35 years as Mechanical Engineer has carved the following Basic Convictions in my heart.
- All the dreadful problems appearing nowadays in the world such as unemployment, hunger, exploitation, disparity, pollution, urbanization, war, terrorism etc. are direct result of heavy and centralized industries.
- The modern civilization based on wasteful expenditure of natural resources is destined to end in near future.
- Twenty first century is not in the hands of centralized heavy industries. Undercurrent of decentralization has already started; and by the end of first decade of new century, the world will throw away the dogma of industrialization.
- Idea of "Everything under one roof" has become out dated. The process of splitting the bigger factories into small units has already started.
- Principles of more economic viabilities for bigger units are illusionary. In fact where social cost is considered, bigger units can never be viable.
- Complex giant technology has given rise to complex way of living, due to which greed and selfishness have captured human minds and we have lost the way of happiness.
- Real happiness is possible only through simple living, which is possible through simple and small technology only. Complicated machinery makes simple thing also complicated.
- World can live in peace and harmony only if we create self sustained societies.
- When production is made for consumption and not for marketing, present theories of economics crumble down.
- Small is possible at every stage, in every industry, in every country. Small is inevitable in every industry related to primary needs of the common masses in every country.
- Present tax collection systems can exist only on centralized form of heavy industries. This facilitates and increases legalized robbery of people by Governments.
- Transport is the curse to the mankind. It facilitates spreading of evils. Worldwide transport gives rise to worldwide exploitation.
Whenever I see any big factory or industry, I am horrified to look at it, because it looks me as DEMON threatening the existence of humanity, its culture, its liberty, its freedom etc.
Whenever I see any tiny cottage industry, I am pacified to look at it, because it looks me as GOD's blessing enriching the life-style of mankind, its culture, its liberty, its freedom etc.