Since many years, I believe that our business earning should be moral. It should be beneficial to the society and to the humanity. Our business should not damage and exploit the humanity. It should not disturb the life of common people. It should enrich the life of common people.
It is now established fact that sugar is harmful to health. As wine and whisky are harmful to health and so we should not produce it, similarly we should not produce sugar. It is now accepted fact that it creates diabetes. So any person who has care for morality should not produce sugar. We should not present the excuse that there is a lot of demand for sugar and so we should produce it. Demand will be there in the society for many such evils. Demand is for cigarettes also. But any businessman who cares for morality and well being of society should not produce cigarettes. Any person who believes in vegetarianism should not produce machinery for slaughter house. This is my thinking. So I am against any sugar production.
If we have to produce sugar, one tonne of sugarcane gives 100 kg of sugar. But if we produce jaggery, one tonne of sugarcane gives 140 kg of jaggery. Directly 40% more production. Jaggery is nutritious, balanced food and highly beneficial for human body. It must be promoted. If there is no demand for jaggery, demand should be created. For many dangerous items and evil items, demands are created artificially even though it is detrimental to society simply for sake of money. Similarly demand for sugar has been created. Once we know that sugar is detrimental and jaggery is beneficial, then we should try our best to promote only jaggery.
Moreover, sugar production requires highly complicated machinery. Huge investment in machinery. This is simply done for profit motive to exploit the society to make money, no matter it harms the society. This is evil thinking. Any good businessman should refrain from such evil thinking. As against this, jaggery production requires very small investment and only simple machinery which can be installed in any small farm by farmer himself. So this technology of jaggery is blessing to the society. Every good businessman should try to promote it. I am sure that with due efforts we should convince the people that jaggery is good thing. Even if you earn less this way, it should be acceptable. We should not damage the society simply for selfish motive of earning money. By producing sugar, you surely damage the society. Certainly, sugar is not innocent product.
So I have stopped to take interest even in sugar cum jaggery plant and I advocate only jaggery plant. It is really beautiful. Please look at the beauty in simplicity. Investment in sugar plant is at least 100 times more than investment in jaggery plant compared on same production capacity. Employment in jaggery plant is at least 50 times more than employment in sugar plant compared on same production capacity. So sugar plant is highly capital intensive, giving very less employment and producing harmful product. As against this, you can see that how much beneficial is jaggery plant. A very little investment, providing a lot of employment, simple technology and giving highly nutritious product. So even after recognizing all these benefits of jaggery, how can we go for sugar plant? My morality forbids me to work for sugar production. I feel that we should discourage sugar consumption at every possible stage. I have vowed not to eat sugar since last 30 years. Still I enjoy many types of sweets prepared in jaggery instead of sugar. India is famous for many types of delicious and attractive sweets made from sugar. But I am sure that all these various sweet items can also be made equally delicious by using jaggery instead of sugar. As I have left sugar for ever, my wife has found out techniques to make various sweets from jaggery. I have found by my experience that some sweets are more delicious in jaggery than in sugar.
It is fascinating to produce sugar. I had a good attachment for it. I worked as a Managing Director of big sugar factory. But as I understood, I withdraw my mind from interesting technology of sugar making and also money making and I discarded everything from my mind. So we have to discard from our mind fascination of something which is not beneficial to the society.
Please read below how sugar is dangerous for health. It has 59 side effects.
- Sugar can suppress the immune system.
- Sugar upsets the minerals in the body.
- Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
- Sugar produces a significant rise in triglycerides, a leading cause of heart disease.
- Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection.
- Sugar can cause kidney damage.
- Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.
- Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
- Sugar leads to cancer of the breast, ovaries, intestines, prostate and rectum.
- Sugar consumption is the top cause of type II diabetes, as it increases levels of glucose and insulin.
- Sugar causes copper deficiency.
- Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
- Sugar raises the level of neurotransmitters called serotonin
- Sugar weakens eyesight.
- Sugar can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels).
- Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
- Sugar can raise adrenalin levels in children.
- Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.
- Sugar consumption can cause aging.
- Sugar consumption can lead to alcoholism.
- Sugar consumption is the top cause of tooth decay.
- Sugar use contributes to obesity.
- High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's Disease, and ulcerative colitis.
- Sugar can cause changes associated with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
- Sugar can cause arthritis.
- Sugar can cause asthma.
- Sugar can cause candida albicans (yeast infections).
- Sugar can cause gallstones to form.
- Sugar can cause heart disease.
- Sugar can cause appendicitis.
- Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.
- Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
- Sugar can cause varicose veins.
- Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
- Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
- Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
- Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
- Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
- Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
- Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
- Sugar can increase cholesterol.
- Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.
- Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
- Sugar can cause migraine headaches.
- Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
- Sugar causes food allergies.
- Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
- Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
- Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
- Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
- Sugar can impair the structure of DNA.
- Sugar can change the structure of protein.
- Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
- Sugar can cause cataracts.
- Sugar can cause emphysema.
- Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
- Sugar can promote an elevation of low density proteins (LDL).
- Sugar can increase free radicals in the blood stream,
- Sugar can cause overeating.